Saturday 13 August 2011

Franz Josef Glacier Walk

Hello!!! Have any of you ever been on a glacier??? Well I spent 5 hours hiking in the RAIN whilst on the roadtrip to experience the Franz Josef glacier. Those who know me will know that I am NOT a sporty person and hate walking up hills! And especially IN THE RAIN! 

We had to wear special (and yes I looked special indeed) 'tramping' (the word for hiking here in NZ) shoes, trousers and jackets, with a BUM BAG for our cramp ons (which are like spikes you attach to your feet to help you on the ice). UGH!


I don't know WHAT the bf looked like pre-waterproofs!!!!!
Bumbag, clumpy shoes and sad trousers - what a trend!!!
On the bus to the starting point...
 For the first hour my shoes rubbed me but I was too embarrassed to tell the guide because I didn't want to seem like a complaining diva. But in the end it got so bad I had to sit on a rock in the rain and have the guide strap my ankles up with sticking plaster. It made SUCH a difference I should have done it earlier!!
It was a 90 minute walk to the foot of the hill...

Who pays over $100 for this?! Smurfs!!
Where's the cafe?! ;)

This was the part where we'd finally hiked up to the start of the glacier....
When we finally reached the glacier it was actually super stunning. I admitted to the bf that despite all my moaning, it was really cool to see the glacier. Next time I would pay the extra for a helicopter TO the glacier though ;)

The only problem was the rain - we'd all brought a picnic which we couldn't sit and eat and it was really hard to get photos because the camera kept getting soaked. Shame.
In an ice cave!


Look behind you!!!


Glacier waterfalls






WET all the way to my underwear.....and I'd never been so glad to see a complimentary hot chocolate in my life!!!
After the trip we had a 6 hour car drive to our next destination. Needless to say I was over the moon to find a plush hotel room with under-floor bathroom heating when we arrived!! Hahaha.

How is your weekend??

17 comments:

  1. Wow. That looks so fun! Too bad about the rain. However--think of all the memories you made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha girl you are hilarious and I loved readiNg this!! You look super super in your gear and I love all your pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. *super cute. Woopsie that was the wine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like so much fun - and omg you look so pretty even when you're hiking! Haha.
    I want to go an adventure like this!!

    xx

    http://aprilialove.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You still look gorgeous even with all that hiking gear on, the spikes in your shoes are insane though, and would definitely put me off getting on the wrong side of you if you were wearing those :-P! The pictures of the glacier are beautiful, I guess it makes the hiking, rubbing shoes and hiking gear worth while in the end!

    Sarah
    x

    www.almostdelightful.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol, where's the cafe. wow, what a trek. kudos to you for making it--the photos are lovely and that ice cave looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW that is soo cool. I've never been on a glacier, but I now need to put this on my bucket list to do!
    Shasie of Live Life in Style
    Wrinkle In Time Vintage Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive been to the glaciers a few times, its definately something that has to be done! Pity about the rain though :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. i envy u, i'd love to hike in NZ someday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. myyy gosh darling how frighteningly beautiful is this place?
    can i just say in a snow coat and hood, you look FREAKING GORGEOUS HONEY!
    And you left the kindest words on my blog dear, thank you soo much xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow it looks amazing but must have been such a challenge i don't think i'd be able to do it especially in the rain! you look great though hopefully if you ever do it again it's not as bad the second time!

    http://kc-citystyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG you are so hardcore! I have never seen anything like that in my life! Looks so crazy and beautiful! I dont know if i could handle it though. Ice caves and waterfalls and glaciers oh my! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sadie,
    The glacier is beautiful. You always seem to go on the best adventures! This weekend was very difficult one here. My husband turned 41 on Sunday but there was no celebration, unstead we had the wake for his momma. We buried her today, Monday here, and we are just trying to get our feeting back. My Dad is doing a bit better but still in the hospital. It has been trying. I wanted to THANK YOU SO MUCH for the wonderful friendship that you have given me through this crazy world of blogging. YOU ARE A DEAR!
    HUGS
    ~AJ

    ReplyDelete
  14. it looks like you guys had a nice trip ;))

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing journey. Can't say I did anything interesting as this on the weekend!


    Lots of love from Sydney,

    x Kel

    being a backstage diva

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never been on a glacier but your picturesmake me want to go.right now!!
    Xx
    http://dontcallmefashionblogger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Was it hard to do this?? I want to go out and try it now.. Haha I too would think the same think about the hot chocolate..

    Love! ~Angel

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I READ and LOVE every comment! Please leave your blog address if you would like me to check your blog out :D

Sadie x